Media for Emperor 400?

tediumsdream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Long Island
Hi All,

Just wondering what everyone uses for media in their Emperor 400's.

I'd like to stop using the rite size cartridges that are made for it since they have carbon in them (I hear carbon is really not that impt - agree/disagree?), but I'm unsure of what to use instead - what will fit in the slot? Do you guys buy bulk floss and cut it to fit?

I have polyfilter media in the accessory slots but I'd like a basic filter media as well.

Thanks for the help!

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
tediumsdream;1921784; said:
Hi All,

Just wondering what everyone uses for media in their Emperor 400's.

I'd like to stop using the rite size cartridges that are made for it since they have carbon in them (I hear carbon is really not that impt - agree/disagree?), but I'm unsure of what to use instead - what will fit in the slot? Do you guys buy bulk floss and cut it to fit?

I have polyfilter media in the accessory slots but I'd like a basic filter media as well.

Thanks for the help!
I remove the carbon from the Emperor brand filters by cutting a couple of plastic slots and dumping it out. I use four of these filters in the four slots. I just rinse two of them every other water change. And then rinse the other two every other water change. In other words, rinse two, then two weeks later rinse the other two.

You can also use the extra grey cartridges that came with the Emperor 400 and fill them with ceramic rings or a similar material for extra bio space.

oscarluvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
TEXAS
i buy rolls of polyfibre at wal mart for $7 and use pot scrubbies...

tediumsdream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Long Island
Where do you put the pot scrubbies Oscar?

Do you shove em in the slot where the cartridge goes or do you just fill up the back reservior with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store