Cracked Plastic Bracing, Need Opinions

Orracle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
South Dakota, USA
So about a month ago I aquried a 75 gallon tank, stand, lights, and hood on craigslist for a pretty good price of $240. Well when I bought the aquarium ( apparenty it had never been used ) The plastic bracing on the top of the aquarium had a crack in the both the front and back of the aquarium but I figured it would be alright condering the price.

Well today I finally filled it up with water hoping to start the cycle of the tank. After the tank was filled up compltely I lookat the cracks in the top bracing. The back on which is pictured in this first photo in which the bracing completly cracked through stayed about the same size it always has.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Orr...ackedlid003.jpg

The front crack in the tank which was not competly cracked around the bracing did grow a bit however, around the center brace but did not go completly through. It has about 1/8th of an inch befoe the crack would go though the plastic. If this would have happened then one side of the tanks bacing would be separated from the main bacing. This picture below is of the front crack in which it extends out into the center brace on the top.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Orr...ackedlid002.jpg

So thinking this could turn into a bad situation I drained a little more than half the water our of the tank to take the stress off of these cracks.

My question is,could the tank be ok with these cracks and not see problems down the road, or be repaired in some way.

Or should this be replaced with a whole new plastic top bracing? Which would give me a better peace of mind.

If it must be the second option how would I go about doing this, in my mind it looks relativly simple just hammer off the old and gently hammer in the new plastic piece. Or does this needed to be silicolned.

I dont have any idea of where to get something like this however.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines

Orracle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
South Dakota, USA
Knowdafish;1923630; said:
You can drain the tank and glue the cracks with acrylic glue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps
Thanks not a bad idea, Thanks, but I dunno if it would work in my situation.

Here is a better picture of the plastic bracing i took. The back is completly cracked around the entire plastic bracing. The front however the crack extends from around the plastic bracing on the side of the tank all the way to the center brace over the tank where is stops.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Reinforce it with another piece of plastic

CichofitAll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Kansas
home.myspace.com
I had this problem on a 60G. My solution was to get a piece of glass cut that was a hair under the tank width(front to back), and 6 inches wide by .25 inches thick. Then I used silicone to glue it in place just under where the cracked brace is. I let cure for a week then filled the tank. I had no measurable bowing and it has held for over a year with no problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store