gravel vaccums

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
I know this might be kind of an ametuer question but when I got my 55 gallon tank as a gift it came with a gravel vaccum that hooks up to the sink which is just great. I know how to fill up tanks but I don't know how to empty a tank. How do you get the vaccum to suck? My fish tank is in the basement and the sink is upstairs so the water is traveling dowm. Will this affect it's performance? Also i'm using a garden hose instead of the tubing. Will this affect it's performance.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
For a siphon that connects to the sink, there should be a large piece that connects to the sink faucet. The hose then connects to this device in the middle. At the bottom of that device can be twisted to the left and to the right. You twist one way and water pours out from the bottom of it. You twist it the other way and water pours down the hose and into your tank. To start the siphon, you need to twist the bottom of the device so water pours out the bottom of it. This will start a suction that will travel down the hose and pull water out of your tank. Using a garden hose in lieu of the one supplied should not have any effect nor will having a sink upstairs from the tank matter. I occasionally use my upstairs sink to change the water in my downstairs tanks. I hope this makes sense.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Those pumps that hook to the sink arent strong enough to pump water up a flight of stairs,youll need a powerhead or pump to push the water upstairs.

Garden hoses sometimes contain mildwecides and there have been a few threads about fish getting killed by using them.They sell drinking water safe hoses in the rv section at walmart.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
thanks you guys! this really hellps!

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
Maybe I have great water pressure. I occasionally use my python on my upstairs sink with my tanks downstairs. I have to turn the water up higher than I normally do, but it works well. I agree with gomez though that a pump or powerhead will definitely speed things up for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store