Safety of a multitank sump

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
I tried to search this but came up with some wild search results. I was wondering if there are any safety issues with setting up one sump for several tanks. I have HOB filters right now on 3 tanks but now I have aquired a 100G and a 75G tank. do to the skyrocketing costs of replacing all the filters regularily I was hoping to go to a sump system but building 5 seperate sumps is costly as well and was hoping it owuld be ok to build a common sump. the tanks are 100G, 75G, 55G, 30G and 20G I plan on building a DIY 300G before winter hits I realize I would end up having seperate pumps for each but hoping its all good

Ric Foster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
Sanbernardino CA.
If you get 1 sick fish, all tanks are affected. Lots of fish stores do this. I have done it also. I have since gone back to individually filtered tanks. I'm using HOB filters and I must tell you that you dont have to replace the cartridges, just rinse them out every week. I have one that is 15 months old and have been rinsing it every week.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I have several hob filter pads that are over two years old. I found that the best way to clean them is with a kitchen sprayer. I have one in my shower and now do all my tank cleaning there (it is also very convenient for giving the dog a bath).

I have some smaller tanks on a common sump system. When there is an outbreak, you have to worry about the other tanks. Still, it is very convenient to have only one filter to mess with rather than individuals.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
So what was the final verdict? I just got a free 30 gallon. So I have a 33 and a 55 and should have my 240 soon. I wanted to do a common sump also with big UV's in hopes of keeping disease down. I love a sump on a tank as the water level is always the same.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I've never had a bad experience with a shared system. Just because 1 fish gets sick doesn't mean the others will. 1 fish will get sick for a specific reason, usually because it's weak. It's rare for the others to be weak at the same time. Not only is it easier, but you can actually use 1 large efficient pump for all of the tanks. Just use ball valves to divide the flow.

I love my central system. I wouldn't go back to individual filters for anything. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you take care of things properly then sickness shouldn't be much of a concern .

Edit: I feel that UV is not necessary and can cause harm. I've had more problems with UV than without. If the fish has nothing to fight off, what will happen if it needs to? It's a lot like humans building a tolerance/building their immune systems IMO. If you don't give your immune system practice, then it's worthless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store