Automatic water change.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I am starting to go crazy with all the ideas. I want to setup automatic water change using my R/O unit, but I cant figure out how to properly mix it with tap water or R/O Right.

My first Idea was have a line dripping r/o water at 2gpd, then a second line dripping tap water at 2 gpd. This would give me 4gpd of 50/50 water, which would be ran to the sump via an overflow. The problem with this is I have no Idea what to do with the chloramine in the tap water.

So then I had this awesome Idea that I could some how dilute some R/O Right in a 5 or 10 gallon jug and then slowly drip this along wiht my pure R/O water. The problem here is I am not sure how to safely dilute this solution.

My final thought was to do exactly like the first setup but add a inline carbon filter. to the tap water.

So can one of you awesome people tell me what you would do.

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
I know it's a lot of fun thinking of how to build equipment to carry out various technical functions. If I was going to build an automatic water changer, I would keep it as simple as possible by using only municipal water, unless there was some problem with its composition. Once the plumbing had been worked out, I would then calculate the gallons per day that I would be adding. To detoxify the chlorine and chloramines, you will have to devise a method of adding something like Amquel to the tank or sump each day. In my view, there are two ways of doing it: The first way is to wake up each morning and manually add the dechlorinator to the tank. In this way, it's there, in the tank, waiting to bind to the day's incoming chlorine and/or chloramines. The second way is to install an aquarium doser. Personally, I would add it manually, but I know this is not as technically cool as a second piece of equipment. Finally, you must select a dechlorinator that will NOT bind to ammonia and nitrites....otherwise, it will be consumed before it can bind to the chlorine and chloramines. For what it's worth.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I cant use city tap. 1 ppm ammonia, thats why I got the r/o unit.

But I just had an I idea, what about If I setup 2 20 gallon tanks, tank one is straight R/O water with a liquid douser attached. This douser would release enough liquid R/O right tr treat the 20 gallons. This would then bee pump every 5 days into the second 20 gallon tank, this tank would feed the drip system. My thinking here is day 1 teh first tank fills up, then the douser treats the water then, the water is pumped to the second aquarium. day 2 - 5 the first tank is automatically filled with pure r/o water, day 5 the douser once again dispensed R/O right and then the water is pumped back into the now empty second tank. I should only have to replace the R/O Right once a week then.

But I want this to be as simple as possible, that's why I'm asking for expert advise.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store