magnum 350 made to bio filter only?

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
I was wondering if a sealed canister filter can be made into a bio only filter or if it would not work cause of the lack of oxygen. If it will work can one just fill it up with pot scrubbies and run as normal or is there anything special you must do. thanks alot

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
It would work but you would want to use media that doesn't compact such as Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro, you would need to clean it out once in a while to get rid of any trapped waste but I don't think it will have to be very frequent.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes you can use a canister filter as a bio filter...

The Magnum may not be a good choice though as it has a small media container compared to other canisters...

ProblEmZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
Lynnwood, Washington what!
I always thought the Magnum 350's biggest drawing point was it's mechanical filtration? I don't have one but would love to hear more from experience owners?

akskirmish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
anchorage
Wasting your time with a magnum-
The strong point and what made the magnum so popular is it's ability to be the best when it comes to mechanical filtration....

Just like the above response-It can be done with them-But the media area is alot smaller than what one could get with say a rena xp3.....

Overall the magnum should be strictly for mechanical filtration.....Period....

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Fill the media container with ehfisubstrat or biomax and continue to use the blue magnum filter sleeves. This setup will filter a moderatly stocked 75 gallon aquarium. Make sure you rinse the filter sleeve regularly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store