FX5 how often to clean

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
Hello, my setup has been going for about 5 or 6 weeks now with one FX5 and 4 weeks with the other. Was wondering when I should change the extra pad and clean the first filter????????? of course I will alternate changeing them so I have one bio filter at all times.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
brcacti;1930058; said:
Hello, my setup has been going for about 5 or 6 weeks now with one FX5 and 4 weeks with the other. Was wondering when I should change the extra pad and clean the first filter????????? of course I will alternate changeing them so I have one bio filter at all times.

I don't like to "change" my pads, I only clean them in tank water. I shut down the filter empty the water into a bucket, and use this water to clean my filter pads. I don't think they go bad only get clogged, this way I can save some of the BB on them. I only clean mine about once a every monthish, basicly when I see the flow slow down or just feel its time. Also I never ever clean my bio media, I don't even touch it with my hands. You can clean your mechanical filtration, with out loosing to much of your BB. If my biomedia gets clogged, i just shake the canister, this way it knocks any gunk of the biomedia, without "loosing" the BB. Any BB that falls off goes to the bottom of the canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store