Python knock off? or the real deal?

number17Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2006
Rhode Island
I went to WalMart today to buy a python to clean my 55 with and they stopped selling them. Now they carry Lee's Ultimate Gravel VAC for $29.99.

I grabbed one, but I am thinking about taking it back. Is this a cheap imitation or do these work as well as a real python? Anyone own one?

Steve

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
works the same....gravel tube has a check valve in it so it makes for a mess if you refill with water and its hooked up still....

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
I had one. It worked fine. The valve assembly is a bit of a PITA though. I really like the new design from Aqueon. You don't get water shooting all over the place when you switch to fill.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I prefer the python units. I have a lee unit, but don't like the operation on it. The new aqueon units are nice, but they don't have hose thread adaption.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
WyldFya;1931494; said:
I prefer the python units. I have a lee unit, but don't like the operation on it. The new aqueon units are nice, but they don't have hose thread adaption.
Mine came with one. :confused:

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I have a ghetto one i got from pet smart, if you dont hold it just right the grave gets completly sucked up inside and clogs it up. ANything has got to be better than this, i made it work better by adding a pvc coupler and giving it an extra few inches

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
WyldFya;1931494; said:
thats why i havent hooked mine up yet....

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
I have had the valve housing crack and leak all over my floor 3 times in the last year from Pythons. I say just buy you a long hose and hook it to a cheap gravel vac. If you want a valve buy a plumbing ball valve at Home Depot. It will last longer then both Lees and a Python.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store