Are un-glazed clay decorations ok to use in my tank??

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Morrisville, North Carolina
I just got a new 55 gallon tank for my arowana as he has outgrown his current tank. I would really like to put a clay sculpture I made in college in with him but I am not sure if it is safe. The sculpture is made of pretty common red sculpting clay and has been fired in a kiln. It was only partially, however, covered in glaze. The inside of the sculpture was hard to reach with the glaze and is not sealed. Can anyone tell me if the unsealed clay will release anything that will be bad for my arowana??

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
I'm almost 100% sure the clay is ok but it's the glaze that you might want to be careful about. If it was rated for human use (glazes that you eat off of and drink out of) then it is ok, but many glazes have lead and other harmful materials.

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
BTB0923;1935204; said:
I would think that after the glaze is kilned it would be effectively "sealed" and not be in a state to release chemicals....is that not the case??
No that is not the case, and that is why there are glazes recomended for human use and glazes that warn against human use. You would really just have to track down the glaze you used and check the container. If you remember the name (they often times have unique names like firecracker, or cherry red or something) you might be able to find out. Also, an art teacher may be ably to identify the glaze. I know that my last art teacher could eyeball any glaze or paint and tell you the name and brand. I would suggest you test it on some fish you don't care about, but a something like a glaze can put off harmful chemicals for a long time and I wouldn't risk an Aro for it. You should probably just not use it.

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Thanks for the input. You are right... I would never want to risk the health of my Aro unless I was absolutely sure the sculpture was safe. Unfortunately, I glazed this sculpture many years ago in college and I don't think there is any way I could be sure of what kind of glaze I used. Do you think there is some kind of clear aquarium safe sealant I could coat the sculpture in?

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
That's a really good idea except I don't have access to a kiln. Also, I think the clay might crack if I fired it again. It might be possible though if I could do it in my oven or something...I will have to look in to that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store