filtration overkill? your opinion

traumajeff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2008
Vegas Baby
I've been lurking in the shadows for some time...first post though.

I was hoping to get some opinions on my filter setup. I bought a 150g tall off of craigslist a while back. The gut I bought it from had 2 x xp4's, 1 x ac110, and 1 x penguin 330 running. I've stuck with the same setup, but I'm kinda thinking it's overkill. I've always run more filtration than needed with my setups in the past, but this seems to be a bit much.

My tank is moderately planted with a small to moderate stock of Pseudotrophs and Labs. The water is always clear and my readings perfect when testing.

I'd like to pull one of the HOB filters. So... I'm looking for opinions. Pull the ac110 or the 330? Or leave them both? :confused:

Jory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
las vegas, NV
you could leave them, on a tank like that with that much filtration it wont make a difference. id pull the 330.

Jory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
las vegas, NV
redhatchbox;1935184; said:
Everybody tells me there is no such thing as too much filtration. :)
thats technically true but there is such thing as too much flow, this can be stressful towards the fish.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
You can leave them both if the fish aren't too stressed by the flow. If they are then, pull the 330 off, the ac110 is much better. Other than that, if everything's ok, you should leave it the way it is unless you don't want the eletricity bill too high. lol.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
id say you can leave it as is. im a believer in the saying that there is no such thing as too much filtration as long as you use it properly. you can have all the bio filtration in the world, but if you dont have the fish load to support the bacteria in the filters, there's no sense in having all that surface area. and in the end, all you have is extra water movement, not extra filtration

mojo2776

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana
I'd drop the penguin and keep the rest; as already stated, it's pretty much just adding more water movement, which you probably don't need anyway. Oh, and welcome to MFK!

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
I agree with all the above posts. I would also say that if you really want to get rid of a filter, you should get rid of the 110...

send it to me.

No, I kid, I kid. The 110 is the better HOB. Lose the 330.

geeimatree

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
Davis
redhatchbox;1935184; said:
Everybody tells me there is no such thing as too much filtration. :)
just dont let your fish spin

and as for which filter you should pull off

dont pull any of them off unless you are having trouble paying the electricity bill or something. I dont think it will really make a difference even if you do pull one off, but if you need to, go for the 330.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store