Sump Sizing

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The rule of thumb can easily be violated with efficient bio-media and efficient use of space... ...but here it is:

30% of the tank volume for wet/dry filters.
50% of the tank volume for wet sumps.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
As big as you can stuff in the stand. I have a 60"X18"X20" under my 350 gallon

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Another aspect, would be a sump large enough to hold all the water above the overflows.
In case of a power outage, or failure of the return pump, the tank could drain all the way to the level of the overflows without a drop of spillage...;)

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
To get a rough estimate of how many gallons above the sump intake your sump should hold, you can get a rough estimate this way.

LxWxH / 231. If your tank is 84x24x24 (209G roughly). If you water level is 1" above the intake than you figure 84x24x1 / 231 = roughly 9 gallons of water. A 15 gallon tank would be minimum for containing water on this size tank. Although, you would probubly go much large anyways for bio filtration so you wouldn't have to worry much

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
so if I used a 20G tank for my sump on a 110G tank I should be ok I am gonna hang a ac110 on the back anyways they have always done me well in the past. my tank is bottom drilled but with a litle measuring I can have th overflows pretty hi in the tank. if my return is going in low in the tank do I need to run a powerhead. there is a Reticulated ray in the tank so I know they are supposed to like moving water. and So are Arowanas I am told. I have always run bubble Bars in my tanks but by looking at everyones pics on here I dont see them in other ppls tanks do I need them or is there enough getting in through the wet dry system? this is the Best site I have found for helping out those of us who are newer to the Monsters but longtime in the fishkeeping. ( I got tired of guppies 3 years ago and with over 300 in my 3 tanks I upgraded to a few sharks and Jack Dempseys) they cleaned out my tanks in a couple weeks with all the food around them. If I had found this site earlier I would have saved myself alot of headaches but the stress is gone now

SonsOfLeda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2006
Maricopa
greengiant;1936518; said:
my tank is bottom drilled but with a litle measuring I can have th overflows pretty hi in the tank. if my return is going in low in the tank do I need to run a powerhead.
Just make sure that if you have your return going to the bottom of the tank that you absolutely have a check-valve or some other form of cut-off for that bottom hole in the event of a power outage, otherwise it won't matter how high those overflows are. Essentially, with no power, your return pump will turn into an overflow for your main tank and, well, lets just say you'd better have a small boat ready for the amount of water that will end up on your floor. :)

There are other ways to go about going about this (without a check-valve) if you just do a bit of searching around these forums. Good luck!

Oh yeah - I'd probably step up to at least a standard 29G (rather than the 20G you're considering) for a sump if I were you. It'll give you more room for media and more room for error in the event something goes wrong.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
sounds good thanks I have a spare 20 but I got a 30 coming in a couple weeks I just gotta go pick it up its a couple hrs drive away but I have to go anyways makes the trip fun when you get to pick up a free tank (he claims its a 50 but I have found everyone overestimates the size of their tanks

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
as far as the low discharge and check valves I have a idea to use some solenoid valves (fail closed) for it and a float system as I want it to do automatic water changes also I have a programmer and solonoids for a underground sprinkler system that I think should work great. planning on doing all my tank heating in the sump to clean up the inside of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store