which is the best fresh water filter?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
most on here will shout eheim at you, mostly the classic filters or, if money isnt an issue, then the pro 2 or pro 3 series.
but some will also swear by their fluval Fx5's but the Fx5 hasnt had the time test like eheims have. the Fx5 has only been out a few years. a guy has recently had his eheim filter have its 20th birthday.

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
as above really , i personally run both and thought that my fx5 had the edge slightly on my eheim canisters (ease of maintanence) until one of my fx5s top covers broken , for some reason fluval have got major problems with there plastics being brittle over time , i have replaced that filter with a pro3 and allough more expensive is in my opinion far better than the fluvals , i also have a couple of eheim canisters 2217s that are approx 15 years old now and still running ( have had to change a couple of seals and one or two impellers but thats it ).
i really wish fluval would sort this plastic issue out ,as i beleive that there filters are priced reasonably for a aquarium filter , eheim you allways feel your paying over the top (except some of the classic series) but when you consider how long the eheims last the sensible money would have to go to them

Titania

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Massachusetts
If I've got the money, Eheim every time. I've got two Eheim Pros going on 15+ years, and one 4+...never had any problems whatsoever with any of them.

aquatic_wonders

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2007
SOCAL
I agree with eheim thing I used the Eheim wet and dry on one of my tanks the only cons there is the screw(made of plastic) use for the attaching the wet and dry part it breaks easy...with Fluval I use a couple of them too plastic is brittle with this filters but I'd said they are good filters too.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
i have heard about a lot of issues getting fluval parts too as fluval constantly make design mods and after a couple of years they become near impossible to find. but with eheim the parts are guaranteed to be made for 10 years after cease production.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store