help?

predator88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Ohio
i have a 36Lx12Wx14H tank. It currently has one 3" gold piranha and a 5" plec. I have a marineland penguin 150 power filter and an undergravel filter. Water is clear and the fish seem to be happy. I just recently tested my water and everything is fine nitrite 0, ph and everything is ok, but my nitrates were really high like 100ppm. so i did a 75% WC and about 15% WC everyday now for a week. They have gone down a little but not much still right about 80ppm. What do you think the problem could be? Have i just not given it enough time to go down? Any help would be awsome. oh ya tank has been set up for about 5 months

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Have you test your tap water for nitrate? I have a problem with mine also.

Have you gravel vac'd to get any excess waste out? also have you check to make sure you don't have a lot of waste in your filters? I cleaned my mechanical filter in some old tank water to get ride of some of the waste that has collected there.

Only use tank water to clean your filters, tap water will kill any BB in the filter, washing it in tank water will remove some of the bb, but wont kill it all.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
might want to get a 100 or even a 300gal troth and cure your water between water changes. cycle a 300gal water troth to do water changes.... might work?

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
haynchinook334;1938753; said:
might want to get a 100 or even a 300gal troth and cure your water between water changes. cycle a 300gal water troth to do water changes.... might work?

holly Time Consumption batman.

predator88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Ohio
ya i have gravel vaced all the gravel to get all the poop out. do you think there could be a build up underneath my under gravel filter? If so that would require me to take the whole tank apart right? thanks for you help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store