Thinking about getting a sulcata?

meemawspond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I was thinking about getting a Sulcata. Does anyone have any experience with one? Anyone have any plans to build an outdoor enclosure? What are there personalities like, does anyone have any pictures? Or should I get something besides a Sulcata?

Thank you,
Meemaw

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
i have one.
most important question: will you have room for a 150lb + destructive animal?

eaglesWR7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I think the size of the pen matters the most, but what are some of the smaller torts that you can do outdoors in FLA?

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
It's funny I was just talking to a guy at work yesterday who adopted 2 sulcatas. He's got an acre of land, fenced, and he just has them roaming. They came with one of those plastic doghouse igloo things with a heater in it for winter (we're in the Daytona area), but he said as long as the temp is above 50F or there's a lot of sun for them to bask they stay out even in winter, but they don't eat as much. I thought it was pretty cool anyway.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
CTU2fan;1942725; said:
It's funny I was just talking to a guy at work yesterday who adopted 2 sulcatas. He's got an acre of land, fenced, and he just has them roaming. They came with one of those plastic doghouse igloo things with a heater in it for winter (we're in the Daytona area), but he said as long as the temp is above 50F or there's a lot of sun for them to bask they stay out even in winter, but they don't eat as much. I thought it was pretty cool anyway.
The ideal way for keeping them is outdoors all year if the climate allows it;)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
coura;1942748; said:
Yeah, you might be able to do it in South Florida too...

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
I want one =(

Not realistic for me though

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
coura;1942748; said:
I agree. Certain herps just aren't realistic indoor captives and IMO a sulcata falls into that category. Tortoises seem to require more room to roam around than some other herps do, I'm not sure if I'd even keep a leopard tort indoors.

eaglesWR7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I dont think size was the problem. Is there a site where you can buy the larger torts? I know she was looking for one already big. Even though its prolly more expensive.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Never really seen adults for sale, might be able to adopt a big one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store