Chloromine

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
I have been informed that our local water system will be switching from Chlorine to Chloromine in the next year. as this is the case I am under the understanding this is safe for us to use but it is deadly to fish and anything that lives in water. I have been told that a special treatment system is required to use to make the water safe for Aquatics. anybody have any advice to share in this light? or any experience?

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
You can use any kind of water conditioner as long as it says that it will remove chloramine. The conditioner will remove the chloramine instantly. The Doctor.

soamtank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2008
Vancouver, WA
My city uses chloramine instead of chlorine too. I use TetraAqua AquaSafe, and never had a problem. I think a lot of water conditioners will neutralize both chlorine and chloramine, just check the label before you buy it.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
seachem prime....hikari ultimate.... amquel or nova aqua+ all remove chloramines and are good conditioners...

seachem is my main one... lasts along time... but the ultimate is nice and you can dose up to 10x tank volume

dmed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, US
Be aware that when your water has chloramine in it and you use conditioner for chloramine, then use a "standard" ammonia test kit, you will see ammonia in your water. Chloramine is chlorine + ammonia. A chlorine-only conditioner converts chlorine into chloride and leaves the ammonia behind. A chloramine conditioner breaks the bond, converts chlorine, then ionizes the ammonia to make it harmless. However, most ammonia tests (including all strips) raise the pH of the tested water to about 12 before the test is performed, so the ionized ammonia is converted back into free ammonia. Unless the pH of your tank actually is 12, it's not a very accurate way to test. The only test I know of that doesn't operate this way is the Seachem Ammonia Multi-test.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store