Not so new newbie, question on filtration

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Hello everyone,

I am getting back into the hobby after a long break. In the past i kept some big SA Cats and Chichlids in as large as a 125g setup.

To get back into it i just purchased a 55g setup thats pre-drilled with an overflow and an Amiracle Wet/Dry.

In my past experience the Wet/Dry worked awesome. However I have 2 questions:

1) Would it be beneficial to add a small canister to get some chemical filtration going?

2) What size/brand pump do you reccomend? Its going to be about 4' of head pressure i would think.

Thanks in advance!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
:mwave::welcome::mwave:

1) Do you have water quality problems that you need chemical filtration?

2) Did the filter have a suggestion for pump rating? A Mag drive pump but you didn't state the type and size of the bio-load. A 3x to 5 x will do for most everything except heavy bio-loads. So 200gph to 400gph @ 4ft will do.

Dr Joe

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Thanks for the help guys!

I haven't set up the tank yet. As far as bio-load, not too sure yet. I was going to aim for a little over 5x turnover per hour. I don't want to overwhelm the overflow and wet dry. I think about 300-400 gph at 4' head should do.

In the past I have always been a little overkill with filtration, somethings never change. Probably going the mag drive route as well.

OscartheGrouch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Boston
Can't have too much filtering when it comes to cichlids. 6x or 7x the volume would be better if you're heading that way again.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Ended up with about 400gph at 6' head. It was slightly higher than i thought. Went with a Quiet one Model 3000

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
good deal... and you can always throw bags of carbon/zeolite in the sump...
i say bags because its a lot easyer to deal with than it being lose.. filtersocks/pantyhoes work great...

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
One thing i am worrying about now is if the Quiet One 3000 is too much flow at 5-6' head for an 55g All Glass overflow kit.

The 3000 at 5' head is about 500gph. I guess i could tone it down with a ball valve? :confused:

OscartheGrouch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Boston
You can have a ball valve or you can always tee the return so that some water returns back into the sump.

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
OscartheGrouch;1945121; said:
You can have a ball valve or you can always tee the return so that some water returns back into the sump.
That's a good idea with the T, especially if you were to run it back through the media

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store