Wall mart poly as filter????

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So I've heard both sides..... the fire retardant chemical CAN break down in water and I've heard it can't. WHICH IS IT? Is it safe to use as filtration media or not?I'm currently using it with fish in the pond. Seems fine.... But it's only been a few days and these are just test fish..... Rays will be going into it and I don't really want to risk it if its goin to pose a threat.Any advice from people using this stuff would be great!!!!!!!!!

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
If it's a dicey outcome, and you want to be responsible and not risk the living creatures... then I'd say pass. You can get poly material that has nothing added to it, for usually cheaper.

I don't know the answer to your question, but with the going rate of FW rays these days I'd play the safe route.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The fire retardant isn't very soluble, but I have confirmed that it is initially slightly soluble. My tests on its toxicity are not finished, but it has shown negative effects in snails (they are more sensitive to water quality than fish). I am running the test at a concentration significantly higher than any normal fish tank will ever see.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
wouldnt some activated carbon remove it.... could just get some and change it every 2 weeks to be safe.... you can buy carbon in bulk for very cheap....

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I am sure carbon would do the trick. At this point in time I can't factually say that it will. At the end of my testing, I'll run it through carbon to find out.

Just a note, I am running my test at a concentration that is 1000x stronger than any aquarium will ever see ( possibly more). My test subjects are an apple snail and a mosquito fish in each tank. In the control tank the fish and snail are still in excellent condition. In the test tank, the snail remains withdrawn into his shell most of the time and does not extend his antanae. The mosquito fish is not showing any symptoms.

aznaro8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2006
canada
Whoa, never heard of this. I've been running Wal-Mart polyester batting for a good 2-3 years now

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
aznaro8;1951145; said:
Whoa, never heard of this. I've been running Wal-Mart polyester batting for a good 2-3 years now
Which one? (check the label for fire retardants)

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Just get a regular bag of poly fiber, the one I use is $6 (at Wally's) for a queen size bag and it is washable and mildew proof...

ILLdose13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Fort Washington, MD
i use "High Loft Quilter's Polyester Batting" by Morning Glory. It cost me a few bucks for a 81" x 96" roll at Wal-Mart. I put it in all my canister filters.

This product is made out of 100% polyester. The packaging also says that it is flammable, meaning it is not fire retardant right? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store