Now a lighting question

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Ok so i ordered all the supplies for my 55g Freshwater setup. The tank has an oak canopy but no light inside. I am leaning towards a standard 48" shop light mounted inside the canopy top. Any suggestions? I have done the whole reef thing before and i know i could probably get away with 1-2 standard fluorescent.

There will be acrylic/glass between the bulbs and water obviously. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
duke33;1944300; said:
If you've done a reef tank with a four foot shop light you can teach us!:D
No i did a reef with 4 x T5's.

The shoplight i want to use for this setup. Any thoughts?

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Good question...just fish. Bulb recommendations would be awesome too. My only concern is i don't want too much light that it causes unnecessary algae growth.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
there ya go... a lot of HD now have a lil section of "special" bulbs some of which are listed for aquariums and such... if not yer LFS can always point you in the right direction for what they stock (online ordering is not always something people want/can do)

and unless you want to mount it to the canopy.. plexi and egg crate from HD is the way to go... and fyi.. the plexi knife is in the lighting section.. not the plexi section.. i dont know why...

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I grabbed a dual 4' fixture for 15 bucks last week, wired power from an old broken single tank strip, and built it into a canopy. Looks great in the tank, but I am going to have to put some kind of cover/reflector on it because a lot of light ends up going through the canopy vents and into the room. If I can figure out a way to cut or re-bend the reflector from inside the dead light strip I'm all set. They do sell some fixtures with a curved extension over it to make sure the light doesn't shine up. I don't think they're too much more expensive.

Only drawback is that while I'd like to do this on my planted tank, it'd take up a ton of space to get the necessary wattage. As you're just doing fish, you'd be fine with one of these - I'm not sure what kind of fish you have but I put a 10000k and a 50/50 40w over my 55g (now 75g) african cichlid (tons of demasoni) tank and ran it 8 hours a day without any algae problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store