Peat moss

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
I've heard that peat can be used as a water softener, has anybody tried this, and is peat moss the same thing? Thanks

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
why do you want to soften your water?? yes peat will work ive seen people use peat moss in bags.... i prefer the ketapeat nuggets myself or keta leaves....

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
Nic;1946421; said:
why do you want to soften your water?? yes peat will work ive seen people use peat moss in bags.... i prefer the ketapeat nuggets myself or keta leaves....
The water where I am is really hard, and I've always been told that arowanas prefer softer water. Is the keta and ketapeat available at the LFS? I can't see it being cheaper than peatmoss though

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
also i have kept multiple aros in hard water with no problems.... i find it best to just aclimate a fish to your tap water and not mess with the ph and chemistry....

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
FYI if your water's gH is to a certain degree peat and such will not help at all and just add tanic and humic acids to the waters - which will help most fish feel at ease, but will not affect the pH.

It's been a really long time since I've gone over all the actual numbers on this, so you'll want to do your own research - but in general the only time peat is going to greatly affect your pH is if you've already got a low pH to begin with, since pH and gH generally go hand in hand.

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
Oh, in respects to where to get peat.

I like the jiffy peat pellets, get a fine micro mesh filter bag and head to Home Depot, peat pellets are sold in compact discs that expand when added to water - fill up a bag with them and soak it in water to expand them.

The peat used in them is a nice dark type, similar to peat nuggets - vs. the moss which I don't think works quite as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store