Total Monster Fish N00b Doing Tank selection

Wah

Feeder Fish
Dec 19, 2007
East US
Hello everyone. I'am not an aquarium noob - in fact i just started as the manager for aquatics at a LFS, my third. However, I've never done any monster tanks.

Recently, the general manager at the store had me order some pacu. Not something i wanted to do; they'll never sell - i'am pretty good at telling customers they'll eventually need a 300g+ or larger tank. And yadda, i'am sure anyone here knows the story. We're of course selling them dirt cheap - $2.50! For a RBP the size of your palm or so.

So this got me thinking, and i was pondering doing my first monster tank.

I went shopping, and found a rather odd selection of tanks locally. I'd like to save one of the pacu, but i dont think any of these tanks would house one long term,so there pretty out of the question. So in the end, I'am looking for advice as to the best choice. :grinno:

The mixture of tanks i was able to find locally included the average 125 Long; A odd 160 gallon tall cube (By looking at it -very tall, an arowana would be unsuited and would be cramped. Might be good for a 'tall' reef.); A large 127 gallon rectangle; And lastly a store with a selection of 120-130 gallon corner/bowfronts which of course were insanely priced.

I'am leaning towards the 125; though i'am not sure exactly what fish i would want to do just let - though it wouldn't be to hard for me to stock the tank just on large fish dumped off at the store, and several local stores carry decent sized fish.

I'am pondering a nice sized pair of Uaru maybe to start. (Triangle Chics.)

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
welcome... id like to introduce you to wonderful part of mfk the diy section

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store