Extinct Tasmanian tiger could roar back into life after DNA is implanted into a mouse

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
Extinct Tasmanian tiger could roar back into life after DNA is implanted into a mouse

By Richard Shears
Last updated at 9:31 PM on 20th May 2008

A world in which extinct creatures could be coaxed back to life came a step closer yesterday.
Australian scientists have managed to extract a gene from a preserved specimen of a Tasmanian tiger and make it active.

The breakthrough has left them dreaming that one day they will be able to recreate the animal, which died out more than 70 years ago.
Scroll down for more

The comeback: A Tasmanian tiger looked like a cross between a dog and a tiger
And if it can be done with the Tasmanian tiger, it may also be possible to resurrect creatures that have been extinct for far longer – the premise of the 1993 Hollywood blockbuster Jurassic Park in which dinosaurs were brought back to life.
"There used to be a time when extinction meant for ever, but no more," said Professor Mike Archer, Dean of Science at Sydney’s University of New South Wales.
"We are now able to seriously challenge whether those animals that have gone have gone for ever.

"What has been achieved is a very important step in bringing back those animals that are extinct and while I think that technically it is still pretty difficult at the moment, we can now see the possibilities.

"I’m personally convinced that the Tasmanian tiger will be brought back to life in my lifetime."
The last known Tasmanian tiger died in captivity in the Hobart Zoo in 1936.

The breakthrough came after nine years of experiments by scientists at the University of Melbourne, who extracted a gene from one of several tigers preserved in alcohol in a Melbourne museum.

Implant: A two-week-old mouse foetus showing the blue tiger gene

They removed the equivalent gene from a mouse embryo, implanted the tiger gene and then watched as the mouse continued to grow normally, suggesting the tiger gene had been activated.

Team leader Dr Andrew Pask said it was the first time DNA from an extinct species had been used to "induce a functional response in another living organism".

However, the animal’s entire gene structure would have to be revived in the same way to even begin the possibility of bringing the Tasmanian tiger back from the dead.

Mick Mooney, a wildlife officer with the Tasmanian Government, was worried that such developments could encourage apathy about endangered species.

"If people think that we can bring animals back to life after they’ve gone, they will start saying that there’s nothing to worry about because we can fix it up later."

Extinct: The last known Tasmanian tiger died in Hobart Zoo in 1936

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
interesting...

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
now they should start cloning microceratops are household pets.
hmm.
that might actually make a decent pet...lol

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Dr. Ian Malcolm: What is so great about discovery? It is a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world.
Somethings are best left the way they are....

Arachnar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Boise,Idaho
one of the other problems with this is that they would need to find an animal similar to the Tasmanian Tiger as the fetus carrier and eventually birth it.

Lady G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Wisconsin
Hmmm, although this is very cool...why would we bring them back? So they will live in a zoo or some other place the rest of their life? Otherwise, they would most likely go extinct again...since we already made them extinct once...how or why would they think they would survive now?

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
only dead because of us PP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store