Will this setup work? Pump/Sump and hose size?

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I already had it built and now I am asking the questions. I have a reeflo dart(3600 gph) on my 120 gallon sump on a 450 gallon tank. There are two side over flows with 1.5 inch drains and two returns that are 1.5" on each side. The intake to the pump is 2". Is this going to work and will it be enough turnover. I went and glued it already and I think I should have tried to eliminate the elbows on the return. Can anybody help me on this matter? Here is a pic on the setup.

mini-IMG_0581.JPG

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
With twin 1.5" overflows, you should be fine. I think Rallysman or Chomps had posted the flow rates for various pvc piping. What's the head height and flow rate for that height on your pump?

Nice setup by the way!

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
It's too early for a Sunday morning to do math, but roughly, the turnover rate is going to be 6x. The only thing I would be concerned with is supporting the plumbing. When they fill with water, they are going to have a lot of weight in them.

I'm interested in your overflows. Could you post a picture of one of them from both inside the tank and one from the outside? Thanks.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Trippingpara;1949903; said:
With twin 1.5" overflows, you should be fine. I think Rallysman or Chomps had posted the flow rates for various pvc piping. What's the head height and flow rate for that height on your pump?

Nice setup by the way!
I don't know nothing about sumps as I have used nothing but canisters and hob filters in the past. So my next question is how do I figure out this head height and flow rate thing? Do I just measure along the hose from the pump to the return hole or do I measure straight up and perpendicular to the hole. Max flow rate is 3600 GPH,Max head height 12 feet. Does this help? How about those elbows above the return should I put the ball valves horizontal?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
That looks like it will be fine. I'm filtering a 300 and a 125 with the same pump (and more bends in the tubing). Worse case scenario you'll have to slow the pump down with the ball valves, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
CHOMPERS;1949939; said:
It's too early for a Sunday morning to do math, but roughly, the turnover rate is going to be 6x. The only thing I would be concerned with is supporting the plumbing. When they fill with water, they are going to have a lot of weight in them.

I'm interested in your overflows. Could you post a picture of one of them from both inside the tank and one from the outside? Thanks.
Here is one pic of the side over flow.

mini-IMG_0667.JPG

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I really like your design. You have a pretty good grip on how it is going to work. That is going to be a very quiet running set up. I especially like the idea of the ball valve to tune the one pipe and have the other as emergency overflow. If the vavle is tuned so that there is just barely a trickle down that pipe (or before) then it will not gurgle in the least.:clap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store