silver aro with spotted gar?

Johny

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Australia
hey guys i have a silver aro at around 18-20 cm and he shows no aggression (only to feeders lol) and in 2 weeks i will be getting a spotted gar at around 8-10cm. will these two fish fight? if there not compatible then ill move them in seperate tanks...reason is the aro is $350 and gar is $400 here in perth and i dont want any of them to die

jay17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
Philippines
if you want, you could experiment but keep an eye on them.. nobody wants an expensive feeder.. lol i've seen a silver housed with a gar in a lfs here.. didn't get to see the progress because both were sold days after..

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
I have a silver, Lei, and a Spotted gar together and the gar is the most chill of all of them. No problems yet and its been around 4 months.

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
it sounds good.
lots of people on here keep aros with gars

Johny

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Australia
got bad news...the supplier sold all his gars so theres no more left...oh well guess ill keep lookin then

shiladitya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2011
india
hey bro i am also keeping aro with gar( but dont know whether it is florida or spotted) for couple of days . i am not having any problem at all. gar is quite slow and cool catch only those fish which comes near him he also eats azoo 9 in 1 aro sticks. till now i dont have any problem. one of my friend keeping gar and aro for 3 years he is also not having any problem.............go for it..........now i am planning to set up a 450 gallon aquarium for them, mine is 200 gal only now.

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
I have 2 Floridas and a silver aro [all about 10 or 11 inches long] and it's rather peaceful. No fights no bites. Just a few darts at each other when it's feeding time but what tank set up doesnt have that?

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Ask this question in the gar forum and you will find many users with different experiences

It is a combo that works for some and not for others

I have gar that ripped arowana's eyeballs out and killed them in one night

I also have arowana that have outgrown gar and spooked them into the glass resulting in broken back and euthanized gar

Try at your own risk, it can work but the size difference the OP described sounds very risky. Better to attempt with similarly sized fish.

shaydon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2011
Beaver Dams NY
Yeah i had my 10" aligator gar with my 8" sliver for a month with no problems. then one day i got home late from work and had a late feeding. well the gar most got hungry and bit the tail off the aro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store