Tank setup and questions (pics)

stevietennis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hey MFKers,

Well, I finally got my 240gallon tank setup and was hoping to get some comment from the community. The tank is a 240gallon tank measuring 8'x2'x2'. It also come with a sump which measures 36"x20"x12" and the water level is at about 6". The tank is filled with water and now I just need to start the cycling process. I was told to just more some of the gravel from my old tank into the 240g and that will start the cycling process.

I am very new to all of this since I am upgrading from a 50gallon? (48"x16"x16") with HOB filters. So I have a few question that I hope someone can help me answer.

1. Does my sump look like it is setup correctly, about an inch of the bioballs are underwater. Do I need more filter media?

2. The overflow chambers in the main tank are located on the sides of the tank and make quite a bit of noise. Is there anything I can do to lower the noise like add bioballs or filter mats in the overflow chambers?

3. I plan on putting my 18" arowana in the 240g along with 5 large parrot cichlids and 2 small cichlids. Do you think adding another silver arowana would pose any problems?

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Tank Picture:

Overflow Chamber - Can I add anything in this area to lower noise level

Sump/Wet/Dry Fiter - Does this look okie? More media? water level okie?
This is the first two chambers where the overflow from each side comes from.

The return pump in the last chamber. The are is a panel with two holes in this chamber but I have no idea what it is made for

Any suggestions and help would be great.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
To reduce noise on your overflows install (press fit, do not glue) a pipe to raise the water level in the overflows to within 3" of the water level in the tank. Then put two elbows on the top of the new overflow tube making the water do a "u-turn" before going down the pipe. Drill a 1/4" hole in the top of the elbow that lies directly over the tube. This will break any vacuum and your overflows should be quiet! You might want to do a search on MFK for overflows/intakes.

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
As to number 1., I would add twice as many bio balls and raise the water level in your sump to about half full. This will add more water to your system and more bio media as well. Also, you water level as it is now is very close to the top of your pump. With just a little evaporation, your pump will be sucking air. If my sump were at that level in the morning, the pump would be sucking air by the afternoon from evaporation.

With regards to number 2., build this and your overflow pipes will be as quiet as they can be. It'll be the best $20 or so you've ever spent....
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOwn/tabid/54/Default.aspx

I don't know anything about aros, so I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable.

I also have a question for you. Is that your return line in the tank floor near the right side in your first picture? If it is and if you have a power failure or your pump stops working, you will drain all the water in your tank down through your return line and into the sump. Your sump will be full in short order with the rest of your tank water in your floor.

stevietennis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for all the comments and help so far. I will look into the Durso pipe that both of you were talking about.

Terd Ferguson - Are you talking about this in my picture

That is just a drain tube or something, I think it is there so I can make easy water changes. Here is what is under the tank

Once again tanks for all the help

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
stevietennis;1953613; said:
Thank you for all the comments and help so far. I will look into the Durso pipe that both of you were talking about.

Terd Ferguson - Are you talking about this in my picture

That is just a drain tube or something, I think it is there so I can make easy water changes. Here is what is under the tank

Once again tanks for all the help
Yes, that's what I was talking about. That should make removing water for water changes a breeze. So, where is your return line? Have any pics of that?

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
Do a search on how to make a durso stand pipe to reduce noise. The sump looks good and the Arow should be fine.

Nice looking tank and I wish I had a drain like that for water changes!!!!

stevietennis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thank for the comments. The return line isn't anything special. Just a tube hanging in the middle of the tank. The return pump is rated 700g/hr I believe. Lifetech AP 4550.

Okie So i will go to the LFS and check for more bioballs. should I even bother with other media like Jap Mats or more filters pads?

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
you might want to consider pot scrubbies they are a very cheap alternative to bio balls...

stevietennis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I was considering the pot scubbies but decided to just fork up the extra cash for some bioball since I don't really like the look of the scrubbies. But thank you for the heads up.

I think I need one more powerhead though for the right side of the tank.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
stevietennis;1954186; said:
I was considering the pot scubbies but decided to just fork up the extra cash for some bioball since I don't really like the look of the scrubbies. But thank you for the heads up.

I think I need one more powerhead though for the right side of the tank.
I would add another powerhead to even things out, I was wondering would you happen to know what the 2 holes infront of the stand are for?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store