Proper Tank Flow?

fish-boy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
Canada
Is there such a thing as a proper way to have your water flowing, in terms of benefiting your fish and as well as maintenance within your tank?

I mean most people from what i have read up always suggest to have two power heads from both ends of the tank and such to even out the "flow" in the tank. Just wandering what is the general idea behind this. Also would like to know more how i should be aiming to create the "flow" in my tank.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
flow depends on what kind of fish you wanna keep.... that will determine how much current you need

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
it depends. I am from the school of thought that in freshwater tanks, as long as you have proper filtration, you don't need powerheads. If you have a big tank, you are going to have a few filters on it generally, and that is enough.

Saltwater tanks with reefs are different, in that they often have 'filter feeders' (corals, shrimps, clams etc) that depend on food flowing into their mouthparts via current.

so for saltwater reef tanks, its much more important..IMO.

but for freshwater, unless your tank is monster huge, its not really an issue IMO

fish-boy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
Canada
Well the type of fish im stocking are JD-GT-Osc-Jag 1 of each. 125 Gal.

What im looking for is a general type of flow direction within the tank, not how much power current wise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store