Oceanic Wet/Dry Help

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Anyone have experience with the Oceanic Wet/dry 150? I'm picking up one of my 135's next week off someone on craiglist and it comes with one of these. The wet/dry's tank is black and looks like this:

http://www.vatoelvis.com/Images/75g_below01b.jpg

The 135 has dual overflows and i'm thinking of getting the Durso standpipes for the overflows. The thing with this wet/dry is that it's really just an open tank with an output on the side i'm guessing to run to an external pump. I'm guessing this was for a reef tank and was used and a live rock area or something with protein skimmer. I'm wanting to turn into a wet/dry that will work for my fresh water setup. Each overflow has two holes with fittings for an output and an input back into the tank. Should I just get the acrylic to put in the tank and turn it into a wet/dry that i'm used to using with the bio-balls (pot scrubbers) or do something else?

Also, wouldn't I need two pumps to return to each overflow? I was thinking of plugging the hole coming out of the side of the tank even though it has a valve to shut it up. I'll just put it cap on it for safe measure and run two pumps back to each overflow. Does that sound about right? Do I use PVC (like it is setup for now) or do you use some hoses?

Or just tear the overflows down and cover the holes and do it with the old fashioned HOB and Canister route. I do know the bottom glass is tempered.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Wow, no input from anyone huh lol. I think I might just try to get the overflows to work and work on the wet/dry......only reason I suggested to cover them is if I didn't really want to try and get this system to work. When you get a used tank and the plumbing is not set up, sometimes it can be hard to get it back the way it was if you know what I mean.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The skimmer is the only difference in salt and fresh water use. You also don't use live rock with fresh water but you can use that area for supplemental bio-media. Wet/dry filters are excellent filters. Once you get a grip on this thing, you won't want another canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store