changing gravel help

I LIKE FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
USA
i have an undergravel filter in my tank. i want to change my gravel to black gravel. how will i do so to keep all the ph nitrate amonia etc the same? the fish will be in there and no space to be moved. HELP

I LIKE FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
USA
do i clean out the new garvel and soak it for a week with my tank water before putting it in or what?

michaelx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
Victoria, Australia
I recently changed my substrate from pebbles to black sand/small rocks. I removed all the pebbles from the tank, which took me a while, and I did it over two weeks removing it at each water change.
I then got the new substrate, and half filled a bucket. Washed it and then using a pvc pipe I added it to the tank. The pvc pipe helped to put in on the bottom of the tank and of it was still a bit dirty did not spread it all over the tank. I did this over two days, as it took a while to clean the new substrate.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
To get the gravel out, just syphon it out. You will need a hose that is larger than several gravel diameters (so it does not clog). You will need to top off the tank several times to get it all out. Have several buckets on hand when you do it.

It is insanely common for people to have little or no patients when it comes to washing the new gravel. Let me just say that anything worth doing is worth doing right. Take the time to wash the gravel in small quantities until the water runs clear. You won't have any clouding issues.

I LIKE FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
USA
alright so if i do a water change and take gravel on half a side of the tank and add in new gravel. one week later i do the same, is that good? what about the amonia,bacteria,nitrate and everythign with my undergravel filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store