Submersible Filter Media in a sump

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
I'm wondering,

between Jap Mats, Filter Sponges, Filter Pads, Scour/Fiber Pads, Polyfibers, Canister/Ceramic Rings, Carbon Bags, and Bio-balls...which ones are more effective submerged, or exposed to air?

I've read that bio-balls increase effectiveness by alot when exposed to air as opposed to underwater, but I'm not sure about the rest because I see several LFS use them interchangeably.

Any advice?

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
Also, I've had the experience of having one of the filter sponges develop a colony of some weird looking bugs because it was exposed to air with little water flow. is there a way to avoid this?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
The following answers are with the W/D pre-filtered & not in a pressurized environment.

1) Jap Mats - These are designed for submerged use and are not as effective in a W/D situation because they will crush under their own wet weight.

2) Filter Sponges - These are designed to have water drawn thru them. Large open cell foam (stiff) can be used in a W/D environment.

3) Filter Pads - Same as #2.

4) Scour/Fiber Pad - Scrubbies may be used equally well in either environment.

5) Polyfibers - Poly-fil is used as a pre-filter and needs a support tray.

6) Canister/Ceramic Rings - similar to #4 but fair better under water.

7) Carbon Bags - need to be pre-filtered and as such are used in the last stage of filtering for chemical filtration.

8) Bio-balls - Same as #4 (just more expensive).

9) Lava rock - Same as #4.

Everyone has their own opinions on filter material (usually biased by how much they paid for the material).

Dr Joe

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
aeri;1955870; said:
Also, I've had the experience of having one of the filter sponges develop a colony of some weird looking bugs because it was exposed to air with little water flow. is there a way to avoid this?
Quarantine tank.

Clean the filters regularly :D, don't over-feed and pre-filter the water & be careful where you get your stock from.

Thro those filters in the tank as a food supplement, this fish will pick them clean and then you can return the filters to service.

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store