Need some cleaning advise...

dk66gt

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2007
NJ
Hi,

I picked up a used 150g a couple of weeks ago for $350:D. It came with the following:

150g 72" x 18" x 28" Perfecto Tank in great condition, new Perfecto glass tops, Coralife 4 lamp 96w unit with fans and Led moon lighting, AGA modern series oak cabinet and oak canopy - old style, Proclear 300 wet/dry filter with bio balls and hang on overflow box including all the plumbing, 200W Jager heater, Supreme Magdrive pump, Coralife 18w sterilizer.

I'm setting this tank up for my 9" WC Trimac Male and WC Female (should be getting her in the fall) my buddy is holding onto for me. Here's the male from Don Conkel (sorry, flash was on):

Now, my questions. This was a saltwater setup so how do I go about cleaning everthing out? My main concern is the pump, UV, all the hoses. I was planning on just scrubbing everything really good with soap and water. Will this be enough? Also, any suggestions on how to clean the salt residue/haze from the glass so it's nice and clear?

Thanks for your help:)

Tigerfish908

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
NJ/PA
dk66gt;1956346; said:
Hi,

I picked up a used 150g a couple of weeks ago for $350:D. It came with the following:

150g 72" x 18" x 28" Perfecto Tank in great condition, new Perfecto glass tops, Coralife 4 lamp 96w unit with fans and Led moon lighting, AGA modern series oak cabinet and oak canopy - old style, Proclear 300 wet/dry filter with bio balls and hang on overflow box including all the plumbing, 200W Jager heater, Supreme Magdrive pump, Coralife 18w sterilizer.

I'm setting this tank up for my 9" WC Trimac Male and WC Female (should be getting her in the fall) my buddy is holding onto for me. Here's the male from Don Conkel (sorry, flash was on):

Now, my questions. This was a saltwater setup so how do I go about cleaning everthing out? My main concern is the pump, UV, all the hoses. I was planning on just scrubbing everything really good with soap and water. Will this be enough? Also, any suggestions on how to clean the salt residue/haze from the glass so it's nice and clear?

Thanks for your help:)
I would not use any soap when cleaning. Just clear water and pipe cleaners.
U can use a box cutter blade or glass scraper to clean the glass. Be careful not to scratch the glass tho.

Thats a nice set up for an amazing price.:naughty:

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
i wouldn't use soap. just water and some elbow grease should do the trick. if you use a razor blade be careful not to scratch the glass. the Trimac looks great.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Buy several quarts of vinegar, some CLM mineral cleaner, and a spray bottle. Spray the vinegar on the residue (called salt creep) and let it set. Then use a sponge with a scrubbie to remove any remaining residue. Heavy calcium deposits will need several spray/soak applications and possibly a razor blade. Heavy salt creep needs to be soaked off. You will know it when you find it. Salt creep is especially hard because it is an insoluble mixture of calcium carbonate and magnesium.

Putting a paper towel soaked with the vinegar or CLM on the glass, sealing it with a layer of plastic and letting it soak overnight will soften the most stubborn deposits to where they can be scraped off.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
By the way, the tank looks like it is glass but just in case it is acrylic, don't use a razor blade or green sponge scrubbie on it. Acrylic scratches easy. With glass, you won't have a problem with either.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
You're probably all set with the advice above, but just in case, I ran into a pretty serious haze situation on a tank I got a while back. Nothing seemed to work well so I ended up trying many different methods including chemicals. It looked fine in the end. I washed the pi$$ out of it when I was done and never had a problem with the fish I put in it. Check out the thread HERE.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
on my glass tank...i use 1000 grit sand paper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store