Pump Mounting Question

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Can I mount my pump so that the output is horizontal instead of vertical?

The way the mounting plate is attached to the pump the output is directed vertically up, but for my application I need it to run along the floor first before it returns up to the tank

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
External pump?

I don't see why not.. As long as the pump intake chamber is flooded and primed.

That is the biggest thing. As the motor can run pretty much any way you put it..

But depending on the pump.. the intake chamber needs to be flooded (Full of Water) and Primed (purged of air).

And keep the water level in the sump above the pump to keep the chamber flooded.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the intake isn't restricted and if you go by what Tongue said. What kind of pump is it?

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
its a reeflo barracuda.
input is from the tank above, then through a series of canisters, then return to the tank.
the canisters are at the same level as the pump so i dont want to have the output pointing up as it adds an extra 90 turn to the plumbing.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
thanks guys,
i am going to make a bracket for it this weekend.

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
IITUFFTOBEATII;1958455; said:
its a reeflo barracuda.
input is from the tank above, then through a series of canisters, then return to the tank.
the canisters are at the same level as the pump so i dont want to have the output pointing up as it adds an extra 90 turn to the plumbing.
Wouldn't that mean all the crap comes through your pump before it goes to your filters? Shouldn't the pump be after the filters, so the impeller doesn't get all gunked up?

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
The barracuda is a 4500gph pump with a HARDCORE impellar ;)

My buddy had a filter sock sucked into his dart and.. Ya it still worked :D The dart is the next pump down from the Barracuda and pumps 3600 gph at 0'

It will take years for that much gunk t build up in a pump of this Quality and Status;)

It will suck a 6" fish in and shoot out canned tuna :D

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Bawb2u;1959184; said:
Wouldn't that mean all the crap comes through your pump before it goes to your filters? Shouldn't the pump be after the filters, so the impeller doesn't get all gunked up?
Ever heard of a prefilter?
I have a few things in my bag of tricks, nothing will be getting to the pump. I will start a new thread when its complete.

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
IITUFFTOBEATII;1960102; said:
Ever heard of a prefilter?
I have a few things in my bag of tricks, nothing will be getting to the pump. I will start a new thread when its complete.
No need to be a dick, I asked a simple question. Yeah, I've heard of a pre-filter, it's made to keep larger pieces out of a pump but generally modular filters are set up with a pump drawing water through them and clean filtered water going through the pump into the tank.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Bawb2u;1960375; said:
No need to be a dick, I asked a simple question. Yeah, I've heard of a pre-filter, it's made to keep larger pieces out of a pump but generally modular filters are set up with a pump drawing water through them and clean filtered water going through the pump into the tank.
my apologies!

maybe i should have said;
"Have you ever heard of a prefilter LOL"
i wasnt trying to be a dick, more like a smart-***.

the reason the pump isnt after the modular filters is because as they get clogged up it will restrict flow into the input of the pump, analogous to putting a ball valve in the line before the pump. I am sure you will agree that that should never be done.

if the prefilter gets some debris stuck to it, it will not restrict flow as much as the 25 micron cartridges would if clogged.

i am either plumbing it this weekend or next, will post pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store