Cycling a 90 g tank

greenlangtern

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I just bought a 90 g tank off of craigslist that came with two red devils. I set it up and it is running currently but I did not do the cycling process as I was unaware of the cycling process until today. I'm going to cycle the whole tank so where should I start?
What I was thinking of doing is siphoning out the water into a smaller tank to keep the fish in while I cycle the bigger tank, then siphon out the rest of the water.
Next I'd fill the tank back up with water, add water conditioner and some aquarium salt.
Then add two small oscars (about 3 in.) and then just wait for the ammonia and nitrite levels to decrease and the nitrate level to increase.
Does this sound correct?

greenlangtern

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Oh yeah another question is should I leave my air pump in the 90 g tank that I need to cycle or should I put it in with the tank that has the fish in it? Also what does it look like when my tank is done cycling? Will there be lots of dirty things on the walls, will the water look clear?

Tigerfish908

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
NJ/PA
Did u buy the tank with the fish already in it? Or were the fish in bags and u started the tank with fresh water? Also, do u have the same gravel in the tank that was in it b4 the move?
I wouldn't cycle with Oscars...Use a cheaper fish..Goldfish work fine.

greenlangtern

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Yeah the fish were already in the tank but I cleaned the tank out and the gravel out with a hose. I don't think the previous owner had established a biological filter anyway. Well right now I got new water and I put in three feeder goldfish. The water tested to have no ammonia currently. Now all thats left is to be patient right?

Tigerfish908

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
NJ/PA
greenlangtern;1961557; said:
Yeah the fish were already in the tank but I cleaned the tank out and the gravel out with a hose. I don't think the previous owner had established a biological filter anyway. Well right now I got new water and I put in three feeder goldfish. The water tested to have no ammonia currently. Now all thats left is to be patient right?
Pretty much.
If u using the same gravel, most of the bacteria should still b in there..

flopping flamingos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Where Babies Are Made.
This is what i would do.. leave existing water in tank use your red devils to cycle the tank. the nitrogen cycle usally takes around 1 month. change water atleast 3 times a week. and get a api master test kit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store