Got some questions about canister filters

DrUgS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
U.S.
I only have experience with HOB filters. I recently upgraded my tank to a 120 gallon for my 4 red belly piranhas. I currently have 2 penguin 350's which came with the tank.

I have been thinking about getting a canister filter for some time now. I am wondering which one would best fit my tank for low $$$. I looked at buying a fx5, but do they need some sort of insert media or something? If so how much does that run around or what exactly do you have to do?

I am also wondering if I do end up getting a canister such as a fx5 ( let me know if something would be better for my set up) would it be quiter than a HOB filter. I am not too fond of the waterfall noise.

Last question!

I know this may seem paranoid, but if I do put the canister in the bottem of the stand in a drawer, would the vibrations from it possibly hurt the tank or slowly weaken the glass?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
i have two penn-plex cascade 1500 with two cascade 300 HOB's on my 125. it's really quite and cleans really good. cascades are cheap too.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
go to drfostersmith.com or big als or thatfishplace or ebay or google for prices of your media for a fx5..... other good canisters are the rena xp3/xp4 use there spray bar under water and have no noise.... cansiter if it does make a vibration put a piece of foam or carbored or a towel or something under it and problem solved..... and if all you have is 4 RBP i dont think a cansiter filter is needed your filtration with a weekly water change should be perfect...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store