Dsoto87

Feeder Fish
Jun 28, 2008
San Francisco
I'm running an xp3 with the following media

1st tray=half fluval prefilter big ppi stock foam

2nd tray=half small ppi stock foam and half bonded pads

3rd tray=biomax

Do I really need the prefilter? Is it a waste of space or is it actually trapping debris. Whenever I clean it it doesn't seem that dirty. It seems as if the foams are actually doing all the mechanical filtration.

Is prefilter just a money trap or is it actually performing a necessary function? I'm not too worried about more biomedia since I have an fx5 with all 3 trays of biomedia but I'm just wondering if its doing anything or is just a waste of space and money

pdsmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
buffalo
i got a bunch of the prefilter free from my buddy that owns and lfs so i put it in the first basket mixed half prefilter and half biomax. and i don't really notice a difference from running that in there vs just biomax, so if i was paying for it id just go the with bio max.

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
I was going to say the same thing. Actually I am getting a little upset with my FX-5. I run Pre-filter in stage 1, chemipure-elite in stage 2, and biomax in the thrid stage. I can't really see too much of a differenc eeither. I just cleaned it out last night and I was thinking the same thing. After cleaning everything (except the biomax) I put it all back together and here I am again with little flow...WTF I mean LITTLE!!! I guess tonight or tomorrow I have to open it up again and see wtf is wrong. I am getting a little aggravated.
To answer your question. I don't see any difference either. I was running a foam pad but they keep getting clogged to quick reulting in mass bubbls. I swithed to this thinking i would get better flow and less bubbles. I guess I was wrong :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store