14" with smaller fish?

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
i can get a 14-16" florida gar for about $15 from a local guy tearing down his tank

i have 2 6-7" p.bass and a 7" clown knife, would that be an issue?

i dont know what the gar is eating, but even if it is feeders, if i keep him fed good would he try and get my clown or bass?

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
You'd be taking a risk. I have some 3" or so cons in with my ~14" gar with no trouble but if he wanted he could easily take them. Others will have their opinions but personally I'd hold off...also as adults your CK and pbass won't be the greatest tankmates for a gar.

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
ok ... unfortunately thats all i need to hear :( :(

so even a smaller gar would be a bad idea with this tank?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
new2natives;1961978; said:
ok ... unfortunately thats all i need to hear :( :(

so even a smaller gar would be a bad idea with this tank?
To cut it short with little wording...Yes Bad idea... or at least a very unpredictable mix that is not really ideal..

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
what are ideal tankmaes for a gar??
not that i have another large tank sitting around :( but for future reference

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
I tend to think other gar are the best and ideal tankmates.. Things to avoid are Ciclids, large cats, silver fish, Plecos, synodontis cats and any generally annoying animal with a bad temper. (I.E. Australian aros, wolf fish, African lungfish Etc.)

Obviously anything either smaller or larger, whatever it is, is also iffy...It will eat them or they eat it...

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Polypterus;1962032; said:
I tend to think other gar are the best and ideal tankmates.. Things to avoid are Ciclids, large cats, silver fish, Plecos, synodontis cats and any generally annoying animal with a bad temper. (I.E. Australian aros, wolf fish, African lungfish Etc.)

Obviously anything either smaller or larger, whatever it is, is also iffy...It will eat them or they eat it...
That pretty much nails it.

Polypterids are also usually pretty good tankmates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store