wet/dry filter capacities

jamesgang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2008
los angeles
Man, every time I get to overthinking something I always get into trouble!. Between last night and this morning I've been dwelling on this so much I can't even find the posts that got me to thinking in the first place. Now, my water peramaters are fine so my filtration must be adequate I would think but by what I've been reading here it seems to me my sumps are too small. Somewhere I read that we need 30% of the tanks size for the wet dry filter, 50% for the sump. So. with my 300 gal tank I should be using 90 gallons of bio balls in the tower and that tower should be in a 150 gallon sump??. that seems huge. As it sits now, I've got two 20 gallon wet/drys that only have towers measuring 9.5" x 10" x 12". I can't get much more than 5 gallons running thru the sumps, so when we say 150 gallon sump should I have a 150 gallon tank down there or should I have 150 gallons of water down there?. And now that I think about it, 90 gallons is 18 sparkletts bottles so I'm thinking I missed something . Well, anyway thanks for putting up with me! jim.

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
From my understanding, the sump should be 1/4 to 1/3 the size of your tank. So, for a 300g tank, your sump should be in the range between a 75g to 100g tank.

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
I agree with the above.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
That's the general rule of thumb. moderate to heavy bio-load.

How long has your tank been up & running?

If your parameters/chemistry is right (not wavering month to month) (verified from 2 sources (your test set and a trusted LFS)) and you don't plan to increase the bio-load, I wouldn't touch a thing. Tanks with a light bio-load don't need near the amount of filtration the over-stocked ones do.

Dr Joe

jamesgang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2008
los angeles
The tank has been up for close to 2 years, but about 6 or 8 months back I removed my three 10" oscars leaving just the 2 peacock bass and a footlong common pleco who as a matter of fact just died on me a month back so now I've just got the two 7" bass and a new 4" pleco. After I got rid of the other fish I did however remove my eheim 2217 cannister and fluval 403 cannister cause it seemed like a bit much, not that I've ever felt that you could actually over filter a tank. It just seemed that with a few less fish and the fact that the current in the tank was aproaching "undertow" levels I could lessen my filtration a bit.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I had a 300 with a 55g tank as a sump. It had 20g of pot scrubbies which is way over what is recommended. It worked out great. From what I've read 2.2g of bioballs should be sufficient for 100g of water. I opted to go with pot scurbbers because they have a higher surface area, so you could (in theory) get away with even less.

jamesgang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2008
los angeles
Right on, thanks for all the input!, I think I may play around with my media a bit, I was thinking that I might be a bit underfiltered but those 2 wet/dry setups were about $25 less than the bloody tank itself so getting my monies worth out of em was up there on my priorities list. Thanks again for all your insight, jim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store