mech. => bio. OR. bio. => mech.

Formula_JP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Lancaster PA
This is for a 150g (30" tall) fat tank, plan on having a mod-large bio load eventually when everyone grows out. 2-3 bichir's, 2-4 jag's, 2 red tex.

I'm worried for a couple reasons, i want to keep a moderate current through the tank to keep my fish happy and an arrangement of the powerheads to keep water and dirt in the column.

I'd like to be able to pull this off with a single overflow box, the Amercal sump i have (not sure on size guessing 20-35g, maybe more idk) but i know i'm going to need more mechanical filtration for sure and maybe a little more bio. Even though i plan to have a sponge or two, maybe some scrubbies, bioballs for sure in the sump, i dont feel thats enough.

Would adding a Lifeguard mechanical modular filter (or two) help on the mechanical end? but secondly would be, it would make more sense to have these pre-sump, but with the overflow box idk how i'd pull it off.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
they have to be connected to the pump, you cannot run them off of the over flow and into the sump

Formula_JP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Lancaster PA
thats what i'm saying. i'm looking for ideas for plumbing since the obvious would be that the sump is fed by the syphon-overflow box.

would it be that big of a deal to have two mechanical filters pulling from the sump tank after the bio?

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
Formula_JP;1965284; said:
thats what i'm saying. i'm looking for ideas for plumbing since the obvious would be that the sump is fed by the syphon-overflow box.

would it be that big of a deal to have two mechanical filters pulling from the sump tank after the bio?
It wouldn't make a lot of sense, your bio would get the main gunk in it before it filtered through to go to your mechanicals. The best way would just be to get another pump and do the mechanicals on a closed loop, totally seperate from the wet/dry.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Bawb2u;1966182; said:
It wouldn't make a lot of sense, your bio would get the main gunk in it before it filtered through to go to your mechanicals. The best way would just be to get another pump and do the mechanicals on a closed loop, totally seperate from the wet/dry.
I agree.

Formula_JP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Lancaster PA
Bawb2u;1966182; said:
would placement of the pump for a closed loop matter? (ie: near bottom, or near surface)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store