Cotton Balls

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
LOL, I dunno why I was justy thinking of that. Anyoen ever use them for media? I don't see why they wouldn't work. I might try them in my FX-5 if you guys think it might work...... Maybe a lot stuffed could polish the water pretty good? I am sure it would only last a couple days though with my luck.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I actually use my favorite sweater as filter media, when I am not wearing it on Sundays.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
ewurm;1965759; said:
I actually use my favorite sweater as filter media, when I am not wearing it on Sundays.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
ewurm;1965759; said:
If we had a vote for worst humorous sentence on this forum, i believe this would be the front runner so far.

Sponges and specially designed bio-media work much better then filter floss, pillow "fluff" or cotton balls.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
I agree with oddball, the cotton balls would compress and clog up a lot faster that even a felt polishing pad.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
X24;1966340; said:
Sponges and specially designed bio-media work much better then filter floss, pillow "fluff" or cotton balls.

Sorry it was rather late when i wrote this, so let me explain myself a little better.

The FX-5 has some decent mechanical filtration to begin with, with the sponges and all, and the media baskets you will want to fill with a decent bio-medium. For the price you can't beat nylon pot scrubbers, and on top of awesome price they also have pretty good surface area and allow water to flow through nicely. But the best bio-mediums are specially designed sintered glass media, although its rather expensive.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There's a fish shop in Chinatown over here that uses old t-shirts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store