Thinking about making a pond

Pwn

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2008
Zerker Hut
For a first time pond builder, would it be easier to buy a preformed pond or try to cover a hole with a liner? I'm partial to the "wall" look, so I might just have to go with a preformed.

I would like to have the pond partially in the ground, with most of it above ground ,so the dog can't get in. I don't really like most of the shapes I've seen on preformed ponds- I want a rectangular shaped pond or a giant oval shape.

Searching online I have seen many pictures of preformed ponds, just none for sale. Any good sites out there that have a good selection or some sort of customizable pond liners?

ctenopoma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Canada
you should get the preformed incase the dog ever jumps in after a fish or anything a liner would be more likely to rip from your dogs nails. I don't know if theres a home depot around where you live but they sell a preformed pond shaped like an oval with a rocky texture to it, it holds 180 gallons and cost about 120$ ( well here it does)

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida

Pwn

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2008
Zerker Hut
No budget, whatever it takes. I don't like wasting money and my wife loves finding bargains (it's a gift she has).

Digging a hole is not a problem- there are plenty of illegals sitting around the corner that will jump in my truck bed if I go by too slow.

As far as size goes , I would like to at least go bigger than the biggest tank I currently have (240). A pond full of arowana would be pretty sweet though.

I live in Northern California. This week it has been 100+ every day. In the winter time it does get "cold" but nothing that would freeze even a puddle of water. Certain times of the year we get storms...heavy rains/wind etc that can last for a few hours or a few days. The weather has been really weird this year, but I don't think it's anything to worry too much about.

L Aquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Heaven
Hey Pwn, I have a pond myself in the bay area. It does get cold enough where you can't have tropicals in there unless you decide to heat it.

The best way I found has been to use liner. Allows you to shape the pond anyway you like it.
Most dogs would rarely jump in. And you could build it up above ground using bricks or what not. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pwn

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2008
Zerker Hut
If I wanted a 4' deep pond with 2' above ground and 2' below ground, how would you use a liner? Do you just build a wall around the top of the hole and place it in? I guess that would work but it seems like it would have a stretching effect on the liner. Would lining the hole and sealing it so it wouldn't leak water work? If there was someway to seal the wall materials to the liner that is.

If I was to keep arowana in it, would I be better off placing a green house over the top of the pond or trying to heat the water somehow? I haven't thought about filtration yet so I might as well ask about that as well. What would a good pond size be for arowana and what filtration system would best suit that set-up? Including a heating source or some sort of insulation for the colder months of course :)

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My pond is above ground cuz I thought the dogs wouldn't be able to get into it. It's about 30" tall...it didn't stop my dog from falling in. She couldn't get out, but she looked like she was enjoying the cool water. :irked: Had to pick her up out of the pond and scoop a lot of dog hair out. And my other dog loves jumping up on the ledge and drink pond water.

albirdy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
Bay area, California
Fun, I am thinking of building a pond too! However, I think it'd be completely above ground. I too am from the BAY. Let me know how your research goes, because I will be doing the same right by your side.

How much is it to build/set up a pond of let's say 3x3 surface, with 2 feet deep?

Pwn

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2008
Zerker Hut
All the hardware stores in my area carry preformed pond liners and most have a really nice selection of pumps.The only problem I have is with my puppy- he loves water and he is very curious. My bed sits about 4' off the ground and he can jump up on that very easily, so I am looking at 5' above ground at the minimum for the pond wall. Seems pretty high to not have a viewing window, so I am exploring other options. I'm checking on greenhouses or some sort of structure I can keep locked to put over the pond, then I dont have to go above ground at all, and it will keep other preds out. At one of the pet stores they have cinderblock rectangular shaped ponds that they sell koi out of...they look very easy to put together and should last a long time. I might see if they can build one for me :)

There are a lot of options out there, I just need to find the right one for me.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Pwn;1972894; said:
All the hardware stores in my area carry preformed pond liners and most have a really nice selection of pumps.The only problem I have is with my puppy- he loves water and he is very curious. My bed sits about 4' off the ground and he can jump up on that very easily, so I am looking at 5' above ground at the minimum for the pond wall. Seems pretty high to not have a viewing window, so I am exploring other options. I'm checking on greenhouses or some sort of structure I can keep locked to put over the pond, then I dont have to go above ground at all, and it will keep other preds out. At one of the pet stores they have cinderblock rectangular shaped ponds that they sell koi out of...they look very easy to put together and should last a long time. I might see if they can build one for me :)

There are a lot of options out there, I just need to find the right one for me.

You can simply put chicken wire or erect some type mesh barrier around it the chicken wire you can barely see .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store