need advice BEFORE getting giant tank

drgnfly829

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
maryland
I've recently been bitten by the frontosa bug and have 2 colonies in a 125
bottom line i've wanted an 8x4 acrylic tank for a long time and finances might permit in sept
I've never set up a sump have always used cannister filters
so if i went ahead and had them drill the tank and put overflows, what are the benefits, what size tank would i have to use as my sump , and how do you then use the sump tank as a growout
I totally have no clue about this and was planing on using a couple of fx-5's
also heaters, would the acrylic be damaged by them
any advice would be appreciated
thanks
Judy

drgnfly829

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
maryland
so I'll consider that the gold standard for when I get this project going
maybe a 125 underneath so one compartment can be a growout??

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
I would not use a sump as a grow out. Thats just me. It is part of the filter.I think you could get away with a large wet/dry with an 1800 GPH minimum pump and 2 FX5s. Thats a pretty damn big tank.. I am assuming around 24 high?? Which would be around a 480 Gallon.
A wet/dry would take care of your biologial filtering and the canisters would take care of your physical filtering. You might want to look into building your own sump.... If not look for one thats rated for a 400-450 gallong tank. I think with 2 FX 5s running you could go a little under on the sump. I would make sure you add a couple power heads maybe to help direct the "crap" to the FX5s though.
BTW my opinion also would be to have them make the over flows and cut all the holes. When your talking in the thousands another 200 or so is worth it to make sure everything is done right. GL man and let us knwo what your up to!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store