Found Nitrate on our tap water

downsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
Philippines
I did a NO3 test on our tap water and found out that it's at 12.5 mg/l.

If my NO3 starts at 12.5 mg/l it can easy go up. Is there any way to correct the problem? I have 4 plants in my sump I don't know if that can help.

TIA!

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
all tap water has nitrates as far aas i know. unless you have R.O. water then you will always have nitrates.
fast growing plants use it up but not enough to neglect on water changes.
BTW 12.5mg/l is pretty low to be honest and nothing to worry about.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
yeah :iagree: all tapwater has nitrates. how much depends on where you live...

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
With the amount of water I have and need to change, there is no way I can deal with a RO ssytem...

As said, that amount of No3 is negligeable...do not spaer, however, on the wc's..

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
my nitrates sit at about 20ppm out of the tap. nothing i can do about it. RO isnt an option as its military housing so cutting into the plumbing could be very bad.
i use plants that serve a dual purpose by feeding my uaru and using nitrates as well. it works but at water change time (every week) they sit at around the 40 mark. my fish are very healthy and active. no illness at all.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Miguel;1967216; said:
With the amount of water I have and need to change, there is no way I can deal with a RO ssytem...

As said, that amount of No3 is negligeable...do not spaer, however, on the wc's..
Yeah, I wouldn't say the amount is worth a RO to start with, I happen to have really very hard limey water here, which isn't great for my SA fishies!

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
I used to take my water into petsmart to get tested. They always suggested 5 or 10 percent water change. I got suspicious and took in some aged tap water in and they said 10 percent water change. Funny huh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store