Sump Return Hose

wlecount

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2006
Indy
I've got a few threads kind of rolling around out there right now, but I have another new question that I could use some help on. I've had some vibration issues with a return pump and although it is being replaced I'd like to make my return line out of flexible tubing.

I searched online and the stuff is expensive for 1.5" and the shipping is often high. So I headed out to Lowes and found this 1.5" pool vacuum hose. I was just wondering if this is possibly an option? I would cut off the connectors is has now and attach my own 1.5" barbed fittings and silicone/clamp them on. If useable I might go back and bu the 1.25" 25" kit and redo all the lines from my overflows to this.

The only concern I have with it is that the inside is not smooth like a majority of the non-kink pond hoses. I don't know if or how badly this would effect my flow or if it would create noise.

I tried to take some better shots of it, but it appears my rebel XTI has died on me. For once, I'm glad I bought a replacement plan from BestBuy.

Thanks for the help!

026497003362md.jpg

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
i use this outside on my breeding tanks, I dont have any problems with it.

Formula_JP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Lancaster PA
i would think that with the inside being ribbed it would only HELP with the agitation of the water and maybe a place for bacteria? idk but it would kinda make sense.

i've heard they can be kinda noisey tho...

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
why not just use flexible PVC, it works with all standard schedule 40 & 80 pvc fittings and can be glued just like hard PVC.

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
Flexible PVC will work, although its not that "flexible" but definitely more so than standard pvc. As for the pool hose, most hoses that come with wet/drys are the same as pool hoses. I use 1.5" pool line that I got from my local pool dealer (outrageously cheap near the end of the pool season!)

wlecount

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2006
Indy
I looked at the flexible PVC, but it just does not flex as much as I need and I'm really just sick of PVC. I still have plans to completely redo the plumbing to flex. This way I'll run it under the stand and through the floor. This will give me the ability to work on it easier from below setup.

wlecount

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2006
Indy
I was wondering in anyone had any experience with connecting to this type of hose or any type of hose with a ribbed interior. Because it is ribbed on the inside I'm have a love of trouble stopping leaks with barbed fittings. I put two clamps on it and tightened it as best I could, but it still leaks. I keep spending more and more money on this darn project and I'd like not to have to buy another hose.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i like the black laguna brand hose.... strong as hell and still flexible....

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
If that's what I think it is personally I wouldn't use it. Try and get something more 'rubbery', as any pool keeper will tell you, these hoses aren't hard to split. I've used 1" hose that's highly flexible and I think it's intended for use on washing machines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store