Changing Sump

Fiaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
South africa
Hi. I currently have a 4'x1.5'x15' (65gal) tank which is filtered exclusively by a 20gal sump. The sump was setup above the tank for the time being with a powerhead until I could get a real pump and place it below the main tank. I have purchased a 420gph pump and want to know if this is enough? Also I had originally made the baffles 11.8" high and the sump is 13.7" high. Is this to high and will the sump overflow during a power outage or is this the correct height. If not what should the height be. Also what diametre pipe should the overflow be 2"? I have a 1" return is this correct? Thanx for your help.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47105

This link will give you the math to get started. I have been up all night and I don't do math on a tired brain, but I am pretty sure you don't have enough spare volume (surge volume) in your sump. Calculate how much water will drain to the sump and calculate how much surge volume is in your sump.

rancherlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Northern MN
420gph should be plenty unless its a really poor pump that doesn't have much head pressure. You only need ~2X (more is better though, to a point) anything over 130gph is good. If designed properly you really shouldn't have an issue with power outage and flowback if you create a syphon break for the return that about the same height as the overflow in the tank. I went overkill with a 1.5" overflow for my 510gph pump (which pumps ~ 400gph at my 6' head height) 1.5" seems to be good for ~800gph from what I've read.

Fiaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
South africa
My sump was still overflowing so I put a 5gal bucket next to it a placed a 1.5" pipe from the bucket to the return section of the sump, fixed it with suction cups and purged the 'U tube' from air. Now it can take alot more water and evaporation has almost no effect as the water level stays constant in the sump as well as the bucket. Do you see any problems with this? There is no heater in the bucket, could this be a problem?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Syphons are not a good idea on an unattended tank (bucket addition).

That's ok on the scrubbies if not overstocked, and use a pre-filter.

Post some pix.

Dr Joe

Fiaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
South africa
How should I connect the bucket then? Also I understand that you should overstock malawi's. So I should add more bio media?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store