Help ID these Gar fry

03ltrain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2008
tx
I caught these gar 3 weeks ago when they were about .5" to .75" long. They now are about 1.75" long. I don't know if they are spotted, long nose, or alagator gars. Are they too small to id?

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
they are either longnose or gator. right now they are to small to tell. but they are possibly spotted. keep us updated and we should be able to tell soon.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Spotted (Lepisosteus Oculatus) or Shortnosed (L. Platostomus).... Gators (Atractosteus spatula) look nothing like that and the proportions are off for a Longnosed (L. osseus) but it is hard to determine this with the photo.

I personally would put money on Platostomus over Oculatus but then this is pretty much impossible to tell without examining the fish first hand. It could still be a Longnosed..

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i agree with richard, definitely not gator gars, and most likely not longnose...telling the different between spotted and shortnose (via pics and not inspecting the fish in person) will take a little further development.
nice pics though, and best of luck in raising them to larger size. please keep us posted on their development!--
--solomon

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
E_americanus;1972069; said:
i agree with richard, definitely not gator gars, and most likely not longnose...telling the different between spotted and shortnose (via pics and not inspecting the fish in person) will take a little further development.
nice pics though, and best of luck in raising them to larger size. please keep us posted on their development!--
--solomon
i know they are not gators. but they somewhat resemble longnoses to me. and the reason i didnt mention shortnose is cuz all the pics i have seen of juvi shortnose resemble juvi gators.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
city_of_evil6661;1973079; said:
i know they are not gators. but they somewhat resemble longnoses to me. and the reason i didnt mention shortnose is cuz all the pics i have seen of juvi shortnose resemble juvi gators.
at this size a shortnose gar will look nothing like a juvenile gator gar, so you may be looking at larger specimens...either way gators tend to look very different from the other species. shortnose/spotted/Florida gar at this size will look very similar, even longnoses sometimes look like shortnose/spotteds...just continue to update the pics and the true species will become clear within a week or two--
--solomon

03ltrain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2008
tx
I live in McKinney TX and they were cought in lake Texoma. They are still growing and eating brine shirmp. I feed them at least twice a day, more if they look thin. I have them in a 30 gl tank exactly like the fish display tanks they have at petsmart. I have had them for three weeks this past Saturday. They have doubled in length and girth during that time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store