sump pumps question

andyc228

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
91776 ( san gabriel)
so does the pump that pumps the water out of the tank have to have same power as the one the pumps it back in . or the same ?
btw do i have to start the out-pump b4 the in-pump

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
unless you have very strange setup... you do not need to pump water out of the tank.. gravity will take care of this for you (overflow/syphon).. the only reason i can think of that would require a pump for both is if your tank and sump are level with eachother...

in that case use matching pumps that way they... well.. match... and it does not matter which one you turn on first.. just... turn one on then the other...

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
These are some clasic worries, you really just have to trust it. What's your set up. We can tell you if there are any problems with running an overflow. The truth is that running two pumps is a bad idea and really can't work because of head and other issues.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I think I will clear this up, in his other post for filtration for a 180, I recommended a wet/dry with a canister (which should be standard for 180 gals+).

The overflows work on gravity, the water enters the overflow and travels down to the sump and once it has run its course through the wet/dry the pump returns the water to the tank...

the overflows will keep up with the pump so the tank wont over flow and the sump wont overflow as long as the sump isnt over filled...

Dr. Joe, Rallysman and Chompers are the guys to talk to about setting up your first wet/dry, it is really simple.

Here is a pic of how my DIY overflows are setup:

Water get sucked in here, and travels to the sump:

My wet/dry I just have the overflows drain directly into my bio tower, then enter the sump where I have bio-max over a bubbler and my heaters then the return pump.

And here is how the overflows work:

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I hope that helps give you a better idea.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Just to help out anyone that may find this thread...

andyc228 said:
what kind of pump should i get , i have 180 gallons
2 feet high . i want it to turn over about 5 or higher.
what pump do you recommend. btw how do i find the right overflow for the pump i get .

thanks in advance

You want the Quiet One QP17.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2321/Quiet-One-Pump

For overflows, you will need to handle 19 gpm or more. Two 10gpm overflows will be your minimum, but you should add a safety margin and use two of the 13 gpm overflows.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/467/Economy-Pre-Filter-Boxes/overflow/0

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Oh, one more thing, you can't use a pump to pump out and another to pump back in. The reason is because it is impossible to get them to stay synchronized if you can get them there in the first place. To solve the problem, you just use an overflow(s) that will flow more water than your pump can handle.

andyc228

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
91776 ( san gabriel)
CHOMPERS;1978358; said:
Oh, one more thing, you can't use a pump to pump out and another to pump back in. The reason is because it is impossible to get them to stay synchronized if you can get them there in the first place. To solve the problem, you just use an overflow(s) that will flow more water than your pump can handle.
so the overflow has to flow more water out than the pump can put in?

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
the over flows are set at a certain hight so the water level in the tank wont go any higher then them as long as they can handle more water then the pump can actually flow, so then the water in the tank will remain at a constant level...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store