3M Color Quartz Grain Size?

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
What are the approximate grain sizes of the 3M color quartz grades?

All I can find is that S-grade is a fine particle with a spherical shape, and that the T-grade is angular crushed quartz, but no actual grade sizes....

What is the actual size, say in relation to a window screen?

Does anyone use the T-grade with bottom dwellers like bichirs or rays?

Rawimpact

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2008
Buena Park, CA
S-grade is more like sand, T-grade is basically 1/4 the size of gravel. If you go to an authorized dealer, they will have samples for you to look at.

LisaH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Las Vegas
I have 3m T-grade colourquartz. I would say it is about the size of a normal screen hole. Its really nice. Its heavy enough that it does not get vacuumed up.

I do not have a screen handy but here is 5 pieces of colourquartz on a standard plate.

july 1 004.jpg

tapeworm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2007
soCal
T-grade looks like raw sugar, where as S grade looks like regular processed sugar that comes in packets/bags.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
got it, thanks

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
S-grade Colorquartz is 0.21mm or .008 in diameter. It will definitely pass thru standard window screening & also thru a kitchen food strainer. I've been trying to come up with a way to 'catch' the sand that gets siphoned out during substrate cleaning.

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
does the s grade sand have any sharp particles in it? or any silica?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The Colorquartz is ceramic coated quartz. It will scratch the tank if you clean the glass & a piece gets caught in the sponge or Mag cleaner. It is abrasive to your hands when you clean 50 lbs of it but the fish don't seem to have any issues with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store