Sand from outside

Dragon cqzzzzz<

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Illinois
I'm setting up my new 210 gallon tank. The inhabitants will be a violet goby, bumblebee gobies, and eventually maybe an Indian mudskipper or two. Because violet gobies require a soft substrate, preferably one in which they can burrow, I would like for it to be sand. My violet goby's current tank has black (moon I think) sand. This sand works fine, but the goby can't burrow in it. More of it would cost money too. So, I'd like to use a fine sand that I found in the creek (heavily eroded ditch) next to my house. My first concern is that it might contain harmful organisms, and that it might make the water too cloudy. I would think that the marine salt would kill a lot of the organisms (brackish tank).
Can someone tell me what I need to do to this to make sure it's safe?

rancherlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Northern MN
I'm sure if you heated it up to near boiling it would kill off anything thats in it. I made my own sand by sifting gravel though some expanded metal to get the big stuff out and then sifted it on an old wind screen to get all the really fine small particles out that would cause cloudyness. I washed what was left till it ran clean and put it in my tank.

Arachnar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Boise,Idaho
Hmmm, I would be worried about fertilizers the most and pesticides. I've collected sand form a river before, maybe try to find a stream or something where the chances of the sand being polluted is less likely. Bleaching is not a bad solution either, I've done it on decor but never sand, but you would have to wash it very well and do alot of rinsing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store