My wet / dry.. insight welcome..

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I'm getting to the point where my wet / dry is almost complete and I wanted to run a couple things by everyone. First, I've cut the pieces for my drip tray and will be assembling it soon. it will sit towards the top of the tank obviously.. now should I use my filter floss under the drip tray or on top of the drip tray. I assume under but it would be a lot easier to change the floss if it were on top :D

Secondly, I have a plexi divider set up as you can see. I do have some extra plexi though so do you think it would be worthwhile to have an offset small divider on the bottom to trap sand / etc.. in case it falls through the filter. It would be around 2" tall, just enough to keep any solid material from getting to the pump too easily.

Lastly I plan on using pot scrubbies in the middle part of the PVC, I'll probably use between 20-30 but thats a guess, I'll have to see how many I can fit. Anyway, does anyone see any problems or have any suggetions before I finalize this.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I run my filter floss on top of the drip tray, I would move the top tray up and possibly move the bottom tray down for more room for pot scrubbies. you should have 1/3 wet and 2/3 dry, so if you atleast adjust the top tray this should fix this...

also what size tank is this for?

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
BushFishRox;1979662; said:
I run my filter floss on top of the drip tray, I would move the top tray up and possibly move the bottom tray down for more room for pot scrubbies. you should have 1/3 wet and 2/3 dry, so if you atleast adjust the top tray this should fix this...

also what size tank is this for?
I thought the media was suppose to be above the water line in the sump?

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
arkmann;1979707; said:
The water line isn't that important in this picture.. I had the pump restricted playing with the currents from my modular pipes. I can always increase and decrease the returns and output to get the water level that I want.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Mudfrog;1979704; said:
29 Gallon wet / dry for a 120 gallon tank that will not be overly stocked..
ya I would recommend increasing the area for for the bio media, to as much as you can get in there. I have a 180 pot scrubbies in my wet/dry for my 220, so I would aim for 60 to 100 to be safe.

arkmann;1979707; said:
you want some wet and some dry, hence the name a wet/dry if the media is above the water line then it is just a trickle filter which doesnt work well on a small scale...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store