Anyone with Algae problems on tank?

Formula_JP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Lancaster PA
I havent been in the game very long but i bought my gf a 10g tank and have it setup but its always getting a build up of algae all over the insides of the tank, not on the fish or decorations.

For a larger tank (150g) is this a fairly common problem? and what are the ways in which it is typically eliminated. besides one of those hideous magnets.

Just a general question. Looking for any answers.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Algae can often be caused by too many nitrates (not enough water changes) and so high bioload tanks, and with tanks that have lots of light, eliminate these, you'll eliminate the problem in the most part. The algae scraper is your friend!

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
just keep on constantly cleaning it, i made the mistake of putting my tank in front
of a window so the algae got quit bad. After a while i managed to put a blindfold up and constantly cleaning it and putting in medications (i had carpet algae different story) and it eventually turned clean again:headbang2
P.S. A backdrop wouldn't hurt if the suns a factor:D

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
It's not a good idea to get a pleco solely for that purpose, but mine keeps the tank super clean (from algea). Also, you don't have to leave the magnet in the tank, just tosss it in, clean the tank, and take it out.

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
arent the magnets made so if you have aggressive fish they wont bite your hands when u clean the aquarium lol?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store