real siamese algae eater

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
I am trying to find these guys but all i seem to find are flying foxes , chinese algae eater and false ones, Has anybody had any experience with these guys and are they really that good of an aglae eater. I thought i found some but it turned out the are flying foxes

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Read all the information you can find here.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132241

Many members of AC keep plenty of SAE's. I keep some myself. They do eat BBA but lose this taste as they mature. I wouldn't rely on fish too heavily to consume algae if I were you. They grow to 5-6 inches and are fairly peaceful. They're best kept in groups with gentle to powerful flows.

Bloop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Wrexham, Wales
I had one from tiny and it was an amazing algae cleaner - totally stripped my leaves and glass etc. Unfortunately they get incredibly narky when they get bigger so after a year I had to give mine up to the lfs after it started going for my Pearl Gouramis. Mine was around the 4" mark by then but when I bought it was no bigger than an ottocinclus.

They're not difficult to find - loads of em about, well round my neck of the woods anyway...

Bloop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Wrexham, Wales
HAHA - just realised your talking about a completely different fish. NUMPTY THAT I AM. I was talking about the Chinese algae eater.

I had a siamese algae eater for a few years - incredibly good at cleaning algae. No bother at all. It died one day after a 48hr power cut :(

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
Lupin;1981466; said:
Read all the information you can find here.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132241

Many members of AC keep plenty of SAE's. I keep some myself. They do eat BBA but lose this taste as they mature. I wouldn't rely on fish too heavily to consume algae if I were you. They grow to 5-6 inches and are fairly peaceful. They're best kept in groups with gentle to powerful flows.
you sure that a true siamese algae eater and not a flying fox or a false one the all look the same but are different

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
cornbread_5;1981779; said:
you sure that a true siamese algae eater and not a flying fox or a false one the all look the same but are different
You need to observe closely the color patterns and mouth shape. Actually, they're not difficult to distinguish at all.

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
Lupin;1984321; said:
You need to observe closely the color patterns and mouth shape. Actually, they're not difficult to distinguish at all.
yeah i know how to distinguish them its just not as easy in the store as a settled tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store