Dual or Single overflows?

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
ok so im lookin at gettin a 210 gallon from my LFS, and was planning on running a 55 gallon wet/dry sump and was wondering if it was better to run dual overflows or single?

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
i figured the more the maryier. what about running a canister filter with the sump. ive seen a few posts saying 180 gallons and over you should run the sump and a can filter. it just seems that the sump system would be plenty sufficient.

fish-boy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
Canada
Some people suggest running a can as well with your sump in tanks bigger than 180 Gal just to probably give that extra filtration as well as more circulation. If you feel that your sump is well above the min req (1/3-1/4 of your main tank) for your tank size then running a can is really not necessary, just be sure that your pump outake is giving enough circulation through your whole tank. Since your is a 210 and with a 55 Gal sump just about the min req, then i would suggest running a can as well with your 55 sump, but again it all depends on you. Because it also depends on what you are planning to stock in the future and such.

As for your actual question i would suggest a dual overflow, for many reason lol. Well good luck with your setup XD.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Dual overflows provide more intake, which means a slightly cleaner tank when it comes to detritus, and floating particulates.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
go dual overflow, and don't worry about the canister. 55g is more than enough for a 210. I filtered a 300 off of a 55g sump and had a little room to grow.

However, I would suggest using 2 pumps just in case one fails.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
rallysman;1983897;1983897 said:
go dual overflow, and don't worry about the canister. 55g is more than enough for a 210. I filtered a 300 off of a 55g sump and had a little room to grow.

However, I would suggest using 2 pumps just in case one fails.
Dual pumps is a very good point, and with two overflows, you can have one pump per return, which can work in your favor if you have two differently sized pumps.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
deff dual overflows..... i never like 2 pumps though... i just spend the extra for good pumps... my buddy did dual pumps... they need to be close in flow... one was more than other and overflows couldnt keep up to well...

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The two pumps don't have to be close in flow, they two just can't have a combined total flow rate higher than what the overflows can handle. Having one good pump still isn't as safe. I wouldn't buy a cheap pump, but I still would buy two. Even the best pumps have manufacturing flaws, and can still shut down on you. Or a snail or fish skull could work their way through the system, and into your pump.

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
wow good feed back. I think i'm gonna just go with the sump and no canister. i can always grab one later down the road. i never even thought about the pump going out. two pumps might be a good idea. thanks for all the help guys.
This site rocks!:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store